Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Spurred on

Eight hours on my knees crawling through my front yard digging up sandspurs. That was how I tackled last week. Being new to this sandy soil & dry climate, I had been warned to tackle these when they were small before going to seed, but I don't know how to differentiate them from the grass until the thorns are visible. Now, my land was infested. Some sandspurs were growing low and discretely, while others stood tall and waved their thorns wildly.  Some were small and easy to pluck from the ground. Others were large and digging them up left big pits behind. Sometimes it took me two hours to clear ten square feet, and sometimes I covered ground more quickly. The work was hard and hot, because it seems these spurs only grow in the sun -in the dry and weary land where there is no water. I was thankful to have gloves to help protect me from the thorns I could see and the hiding ones that still tried to attack through the leather covering.

Unfortunately, by the end of the week, the grass was starting to drop seeds. I had run out of time and had no choice but to mow and bag the clippings hoping to capture some of the thorny fruit before it settled into the soil waiting to cause more harm.  This task required asking for help, because I couldn't do it on my own.

The experience reminded me of struggles -sin and brokenness. Things that grow, settle in and proceed to steal our joy and our freedoms. Sometimes they take root and grow unchecked before we ever realize they aren't benign. Once present, some are big, some little. Some quick to take care of and some time intensive. Sometimes you can do the really hard work, and somedays you can only handle to take the shortcut and survive. Sometimes you have to ask for help.

BUT if you are moving forward with your eyes on Jesus, you win! Every step closer to Him is victory. Never forget He's with you and protecting you. A little like the gloves (but in more of an infinite, all-powerful, ruler-of-the universe, lovingly-numbering- the-hairs-on-your-head kind of way.)

Don't give up. Move forward. Lean hard into Jesus. Count your wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment